Frozen (+ A Quick, Cozy DIY Scrub)



Do the lyrics from a certain animated film with a certain ice princess automatically start humming through your head as soon as you hear that word - frozen? They were genius, I tell you ;)

Yesterday's weather should have been what you feel when you open up the dictionary and look up "blistery." And today's should be "frozen."

My other half left before dawn to make it to the big city in time for a day filled with business meetings, and as peeked from under our heavyweight down comforter + oversized quilt, I could feel Jack Frost nipping at my nose.





I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. Chilled, crisp, brittle air filled my lungs. It's amazing how different the air feels from season to season as you breathe it in.

Cries from Noah's room drifted into the bedroom. I gathered my courage and slipped my toes out of bed onto the warm wood floor. In Korea most houses use floor heating, called ondol. One of my favorite parts about winter here is getting to use it.

I padded out and scooped up the crying, teething babe. Together we shuffled into the dark living room, and I pulled back the curtains to see what the evening had brought us: Mini frozen waterfalls and tiny icicles.



I was sick over the weekend with a stomach bug (Noah, too), and since then I've been eating almost nothing but Korean rice porridge, called "juke." I love me a big bowl of chicken porridge, but after three days my body was yearning for something different.

For breakfast I decided to steam some sweet potatoes, something I've grown to absolutely love doing since moving to Korea (we also love to eat them with kimchi :), and test the waters with a cup of coffee (I mean, FOUR DAYS without coffee!!!).



I waited for the sweet potatoes to steam and sipped on my beloved coffee as the sun began to stream in. There's something so lovely about winter sunshine, brightening up the grey skies and warming the skin just so.



I actually don't mind all grey days. Sometimes I find a comforting solace in the quiet of those days. But there are certainly days when my entire being aches for that Vitamin D. And on this blustery winter day, I was happy to have it.




Last night I used a rosemary lavender scrub that I made and I have to say, my skin feel so soft. And it's not dry at all.  Lately I've been trying to take more time (even if it's only a few minutes) to care for myself, body and mind.



Whether it's reading, journaling, taking a few extra minutes in the shower to use a luscious scrub, lighting a candle, or simply sitting with a mug of coffee and letting myself stare out the window at the mountains and trees.

I thought I'd share the scrub recipe, in case you'd like to give it a whirl.





Lavender Rosemary Body Scrub

What you'll need:

  • small jar (w/lid)
  • sugar / sea salt
  • oil (coconut, grapeseed, sunflower, olive, etc)
  • lavender essential oil
  • dried rosemary
To make the scrub, you can use a 2-1 ration of salt/sugar to oil.

Sea salt will give a deeper scrub, which is better to use on the rougher and less sensitive areas of your body (legs, feet, knees, elbows). 

Sugar is generally finer and dissolves faster, so a sugar scrub is great to use all over. 

My scent of choice was lavender, one of my all-time favorite scents. I added ten drops and use Young Living essential oils because I believe in their seed-to-seal promise, and guarantee of safe, healthy oils. If you're interested in trying out Young Living or learning more, feel free to shoot me an email :) 

I also added dried rosemary (you could add rosemary essential oil instead, if you prefer) because I like the variation in texture it adds. 

Mix everything together, throw it in the jar and voilà!

Scrubs are so easy to make at home, but I find that whenever I use one I feel so luxurious. Feel free to change up this recipe according to your taste (and mood!). Enjoy! 

xo, 
Grace

Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Instagram